Tuesday 3 July 2012

Thing 10 - Masters degrees, qualifications

I can clearly remember who planted the seed of doing a Masters in Information Studies in my head - it was one of my pharmacology tutors, probably thinking "Jill will never make it as a lab scientist".  But how right she was on both counts.  Turns out that pharmacology degree + MSc. Information Studies is a killer combination for pharmaceutical employers as it means you understand the scientific terminology but handle information rather than pipettes and chemicals.  So that's what I did, with a year as a Graduate trainee in the Library at the (then) South Bank Polytechnic in London.   I did my Masters at Sheffield University.   I see they now offer an MA in Information Literacy or an MSc Information Management - looks like my course was a cross between the two.  The course gave me a really good grounding in information retrieval and database management and I have used these skills extensively in my career.  For me, the thorny question is whether to bother with Chartership.  Would it really be worth the effort at this stage?  I have managed very well without it thus far...views welcome please!

Image credited to Snowyowls http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CoMFA.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment